In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boscombe like this:
BOSCOMBE, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, and on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, 1½ mile NE of Porton station, and 4 SE of Amesbury. It has a post office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,692. Real property, with Gomeldon, Idmiston, Porton, and Winterbourne-Gunner, £7,630. Pop., 143. Houses, 34. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £330.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is old but good; and there are almshouses, with endowed income of £24. Richard Hooker was rector from 1591 till 1595, and wrote here the first four books of his "Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity"
BOSCOMBE, Wiltshire - Extract from National Gazetteer, 1868
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer (1868)]
"BOSCOMBE, a parish in the hundred of Amesbury, in the county of Wilts, 4 miles to the S.E. of Amesbury, and 8 N.E. from Salisbury, its post town. It lies near the border of Hampshire, on the small river Bourne, a feeder of the Avon. The living is a rectory's in the diocese of Salisbury, of the value of £330, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a small ancient building. The parochial charities consist of the endowment of four almshouses for widows and widowers, which have an income of £24 per annum. Richard Hooker was once rector of this parish, and while here wrote a large part of his great work on "Ecclesiastical Polity"."